FREE One Time Events
Spring Homebirth Potluck - Berkeley
Come join the midwives and families from the Bay Area Homebirth Collective for a fun time. Meet other families, share food and smiles.
When: Saturday, May 13 from 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Where: Codornices Park, 1201 Euclid Ave, Berkeley, CA 94708, meet by the playground
Please bring some food to share plus your own plates/utensils, etc. Also bring maternity and baby items and clothes that you are no longer needing and trade them out for something new.
FREE Repeating Events
Why Not Home Movie Screening - San Francisco
What if the choice of where to give birth wasn't limited by cost or insurance coverage, fear or misinformation? What would change if families had access to the care provider of their choice in the setting that best fits their unique needs and values? The families featured in Why Not Home - obstetricians, nurse-practitioners, family physicians - know well the landscape of hospital-based birth: the routine interventions, the stress and difficulty of making autonomous decisions within an institutional setting, the time constraints imposed on laboring women. And they have chosen to give birth at home. Come see this beautiful movie, and find out why. Movie followed by a Q&A with community midwives.
When: Second Thursday of each month from 6-8:30pm
Where: Natural Resources, 1367 Valencia St., San Francisco, CA 94110
Sign up on the Natural Resources website here.
Homebirth 411 - San Francisco
The second Saturday of every month, you'll find BAHC midwives hosting a free informational session about homebirth and midwifery care. Held at Natural Resources on Valencia Street near 25th Street, the presentation covers what it's like to work with a midwife for prenatal, birth and postpartum care. We discuss many aspects of the care, answer lots of questions, and show a short video of a home water birth in Sausalito. All are welcome to join.
When: 2nd Saturday of every month from 4:00 pm to 5:30 pm
(2016 Dates: Jan 9, Feb 13, March 12, April 9, May 14, June 11, July 9, Aug 13, Sept 10, Oct 8, Nov 12, Dec 10)
Where: Natural Resources, 1367 Valencia Street, San Francisco, near 24th St BART Station
Home Birth Walks - Lake Merritt in Oakland
A weekly casual meetup of home birth families with midwife Ellen Levitt. Meet at the Lake Merritt pillars and walk around the lake together! This is an event to encourage families to meet one another while moving our bodies and getting a breath of fresh air!
When: Every Monday from 10am-12pm
Location: Lake Merritt walking path, meet at the Pillars
Who: All pregnant and postpartum families!
Details: This is a free event. Text Ellen in the AM to make sure she is not at a birth - 510 459-8708. We will meet at 10am and start the walk around the lake at 10:15am. All family members and friends welcome. This path is accessible to babies in strollers. There are two stops for bathrooms, and several water fountains along the path. No food provided. Bring your own snacks, and make sure you have enough water! Rain cancels event.
Labyrinth Walk at Grace Cathedral - San Francisco
Join prenatal yoga teacher Jane Austin and BAHC midwife Sue Baelen in a guided walking meditation. It’s a time for quiet reflection and a chance to connect with your authentic self as well as an ideal way to actively meditate and prepare for birth.
When: 3rd Thursday of every month, gathering at 11:45 am
Where: Grace Cathedral Labyrinth (sometimes indoors, sometimes outside). California and Taylor Streets
Classes & Paid Events
Birth Preparation Classes - San Francisco
This class is an opportunity to meet other likeminded families and learn how you can have an empowered birthing experience. Together we will explore the emotional and physiological transitions of pregnancy, childbirth, and new-parenthood.
In this course you and your partner will learn techniques and tools that will help you:
- Release fears and tap into your birthing instincts
- Cope with the sensations of labor
- Feel confident in your body and in your role as a support person
- Feel prepared for what happens once your little one arrives.
Topics that will be covered include:
- Understanding the anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, birth and postpartum.
- Breathing and relaxation techniques.
- Positions and massage techniques for coping with labor.
- Stages of labor and what to expect.
- Variations of normal and potential complications.
- What happens in the event of a transport.
- Postpartum recovery and what to expect in those first hours, days and weeks of life with your new baby.
- We explore breastfeeding basics and newborn care.
Where: Recess 470 Carolina Street between 18th Street and Mariposa in Potrero Hill, San Francisco
When: A 5 week series beginning May 22nd, 2017
Time: Monday nights from 7:00-9:00pm
Cost: $400 per couple
Instructors: Lauren Miller & Gabrielle Cohen
Registration: Please email Lauren Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
"Tools for Home & Birth Center Birth" - A One-Day Childbirth Education Intensive - San Francisco & Berkeley
If you are planning to give birth at home or in a birth center outside of a hospital, this course is designed specifically for you! Come meet others who are doing the same, and learn how you can birth your baby with confidence and strength. This course is aimed to give you a variety of tools you and your partner can use to stay calm, relaxed and focused on your journey to becoming a parent!
- How can I best work with my midwife and other care providers?
- How will I know when I’m in labor?
- What do I actually do in labor?!
- What will giving birth be like?
- How will I cope with pain?
- What can I do to best support my partner in labor?
- What will happen after the birth?
- What if myself or the baby has to go to the hospital?
A combination of instruction, videos, self-reflection, relaxation, breathing and partner exercises will answer these questions and help you become more comfortable with birth. Partners will learn specific techniques to confidently support mothers through the process. A one-day 7 hour session, this course is perfect for busy moms and partners who can’t or don’t want to take a series.
When & Where: One Saturday or Sunday every month alternating between SF and Berkeley/Oakland. See specific dates & locations.
Instructor: Firen Jones, Licensed Midwife
Cost: The course costs $200 per couple.
For more information and to REGISTER, click here.
Homebirth-Focused Childbirth Education Series & Newborn Class - Oakland
Let's get ready to Homebirth! This fun and exciting time takes, to say the least, a little bit of preparation --and we all know your partner really needs it! So come on through and we'll get everyone up to speed so you feel prepared and empowered stepping into one of the biggest days of your life.
It's no small feat, so come prepared to learn techniques and tools that will support you and your partner (if present) in labor, birth and those first weeks of parenting. We will use a host of modalities and try not to take ourselves too seriously, after all, don't we want to welcome our little one in the spirit of joy and connection?
This class sets the intension of honoring your journey as a normal, physiological and emotional right-of-passage and fostering the natural hormonal unfolding of labor and birth.
Come have fun with us!
Dates of Series: May 6, 7, 20, 21, 2017
Where: Oakland, CA
When: Saturday and Sunday mornings
Fee: $300, sliding scale available
Instructor: Esther Healey, Licensed Midwife
Covered Topics in Homebirth Preparation Class:
- Positioning, breathing, and coverage of techniques mama may use to cope with labor
- Tools and techniques for partners to support laboring mother
- "Stages" of labor and what labor may look like
- What changes are made in the body during labor, and how to facilitate that process
- What the baby goes through to be born, and how to help them get out!
- Opportunities to set intensions for the birth and begin processing fears to create space for the birth of your dreams
- What happens if complications arise and transfer of care is necessary
- Immediate postpartum needs and expectations (Note: for more in depth coverage of postpartum period, please consider signing up for that class)
- Breastfeeding techniques and expectations
- Expectations for newborn babies in first days of life: what their needs are, and how can we as parents support them (Note: This is not a newborn preparation class. Please consider signing up for the newborn prep class for more in depth coverage of newborn care.
- and, of course, more!
Newborn Preparation Class
Oh yeah, there's a baby after all this! Come learn the special needs of a newborn to help you not go as crazy in those first six weeks of life. We'll touch on the most essential topics for newborn care increasing the chances your baby will love you. Just kidding! Your baby will love you no matter what, but this will help you wander through the fog with some tools in your belt. Don't miss this very important class!
Dates: May 13, 2017
Where: Oakland, CA
When: Saturday morning
Fee: $75, sliding scale available
Instructor: Esther Healey, Licensed Midwife
Covered Topics in Newborn Preparation Class:
- Basic Needs of Newborns: Physical and Emotional
- Soothing Newborns
- Diapering and Clothing
- Holding and Handling
- Introduction to various carrier methods
- Basic developmental expectations of newborn for first six weeks
Note: We will not cover breastfeeding, nursing, or anything feeding. This is covered in the childbirth prep class.